Saturday, May 2, 2009

Buy My Car, Please (or: On The Avoidance of Swine)

It's a great deal, let me tell you! A new (and here, by new I mean 20 years old, so essentially ignore that) Toyota Corolla...pristine mechanical shape with only minor cosmetic damage...!!! And for $800 US? Damn! I'm really dumbfounded as to how so many people are passing up a great offer like this, but it's obviously a crazy world so who am I to comment.

Anyhow, that's essentially what I'm up to at the moment. Sarah and I went to her "work do" (a kiwi tradition of getting together with all your co-workers and having a great big barbecue and get intoxicated) and no one, not even the 3 year-old daughter of her boss was buying. But it'll move. At the moment, I have (let me count, hold on) $23.80 so I don't have what you would call a jam-packed schedule. I've been doing house painting (which would be lovely if I didn't have to have all the windows open in the cold weather) to pay the rent, and Glen's been out of the house for most of the past couple of weeks with a new flame in Waihi, so I've spent more evenings that I would like to admit to sitting around talking to the cat. But today we have two new flatmates moving in, a German/Japanese couple with near-unpronounceable names (Glen calls them "Zeig Heil" and "Ruv You Rong Time", respectively) so that should add some flavor to life.

But to catch up...

After the gentlemen took off from Auckland, I had a lovely, caffiene fueled midnight drive home to Napier. When I got home, Glen and I had some dinner (or breakfast, what have you) and he told me that our flatmate, Sue (who moved in to take over from Keller and Noah) hadn't been home for a couple of days. The next day, while I was out golfing with Buzz, I got a text from Glen saying that he needed me home at 5:00 that evening to be a witness, and act as backup, when Sue tried to move out withour paying rent ($185). I showed up early, and was thus, luckily, present to witness Glen jumped, yanked out the front door, and beat on the sidewalk by Sue, and a pack of her friends. To pay me back for calling the police and saving his life, Glen bought me beer.

The other weekend I headed down to Wellington with Buzz and Chris, and got to meet Buzz's brother, Kevin (and his (married) flatmates, Fred and Melissa). Kevin is a tax attorney and Fred is an acountant, so they have a lovely apartment in a high-rise building in the city, with a balcony and a view of the bay. We had a lovely night, and I had a political/automotive discussion with Fred whilst Kevin honked a duck-call at passers by down on the sidewalk and Melissa banned Buzz from her apartment for the forseeable future after some rather off-color remarks were made about the potential attractiveness of her and Fred's future children. Kevin and Fred showed me the Wellington night life, and I got bounced from my first pub after I started pretending to be a US Marine and making fun of all the ANZACs (NZ army...it was ANZAC day so I guess they all got let out of the barracks for the evening).

Other than that, I don't think there have been any too exciting happenings down here. I'm headed down to South Island to do some WWOOFing, vagabonding, romancing of beautiful farm girls and general adventuring as soon as possible (i.e. WHEN SOMEBODY BUYS MY DAMN CAR)...and I'm looking foreward to that like nothing else! Aparently I'm coming home around the 25th of June...I got a little teary-eyed today driving past the old Taradale house and re-living all the old memories, but I suppose that all good things must come to an end...and I'm really, really (I cannot express this enough) ready to get back on the road!

Anyhow, with any luck the next post will be made from a drastically different landmass from the one on which I currently reside, and I hope to have thrilling tales of daring and adventure to share!

Yippee Ki Yay!

1 comment:

Keller said...

I would totally fucking buy that car! Aidan and I are buying one in the next couple weeks to share till I leave. Oh and another thing I'm buying is a DMB ticket for ya... you can pay me back later. Do you have any WWOOF places picked out? Sounds like it's high time to get out of Napes, what with all the drug-crazed gun standoffs! How much longer do you think you're going to be in the HB? Care packages are OTW so we need a post office to send poste restante to. Take 'er easy there dude! See ya in a couple weeks!