Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm Walking on Sunshine, Ohhh, oh oh oh! (or: Misinterpretations of Signs from the Universe)

Yee Haw!

Having recently sold my car (well, arranged to, anyhow. the deal goes down tomorrow when I get the loaf of cash itself) I'm headed down to Wellington this Friday, then to Picton on Saturday! I have some 3 or 4 or 5 WWOOF places lined up, and with the better part of $400 in my pocket, I'm going to be doing lots of hitching, and eating plenty of rice and potatoes. But I couldn't be happier.

The new flatmates are settled in, Rene and Kaoru...and they're good fun. Yesterday they caught a bunch of fish, Kahawai I think, and today we're headed out into the boondocks of Omahu to get some fresh venison off thier hunting hook-up...so tonight is a venison barbecue with sashimi hour d'ourves (...sp?).

Swine Flu (hahaha) has recently been usurped in the news by this drug-raid fiasco up on Hospital Hill (obnoxiously blocking off my morning walk). A couple of biker gangs got in a shoot-up over drugs, then a cop or two got shot and they (what appeared to be the entire police force of NZ, with some Army back-up) had the drug cartel holed up in a house. Except the "drug cartel" consisted entirely of one fifty-one year old guy. With no hostages. The police stand-off, that closed 2 or 3 schools, had neighbors evacuated in tanks, and closed off the entire hill for 4 days seemed a little silly to me, and I kept wondering why they didn't just rock in there and kill they guy, like, when he was sleeping (which you know he did over a period of 4 days) for example. But then I figured that Kiwi police probably don't get to see excitement like this very often, and they were probably loving every minute of it (aside from the ones who got shot, with all due respect). I was painting the hallway and wishing I wasn't, and every 15 minutes or so they'd have news updates on the radio. At first, it was just normal stuff, but at the point where they started sending in Kamikaze robots to blow up the garage (of the house the guy was holed up in) I started laughing. It was a good bit of entertainment, and I haven't heard a mention of the damn pig flu since. Ha!

Well, the next post will certainly be from South Island, as I now know the Universe is flowing with me. You see, last week (where I had infamously bad luck, culminating in nearly getting robbed blind by Chinese Internet Pirates) my radio station of choice, Hauraki, was playing unusually good music. I thought, incorrectly, that this was a good omen. It turned out to be, however, God's form of hold music...a sort of consilation prize for nothing else working out for me. However, this week is the debut of Green Day's new album, so I've had to listen to "American Idiot" over, and over and over. So this must be good news, and it also makes me spend a lot more time out of the house and relish the idea of being on the road, vagabonding around South Island.

Hooray!

No comments: